[Clusters_sig] RE: [Linux-cluster] Re: [Ocfs2-devel] [RFC] nodemanager, ocfs2, dlm

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Wed Jul 20 18:09:18 UTC 2005

On 2005-07-20T09:55:31, "Walker, Bruce J (HP-Labs)" <bruce.walker at hp.com> wrote:

> Like Lars, I too was under the wrong impression about this configfs
> "nodemanager" kernel component.  Our discussions in the cluster
> meeting Monday and Tuesday were assuming it was a general service that
> other kernel components could/would utilize and possibly also
> something that could send uevents to non-kernel components wanting a
> std. way to see membership information/events.

Let me clarify that this was something we briefly touched on in
Walldorf: The node manager would (re-)export the current data via sysfs
(which would result in uevents being sent, too), and not something we
dreamed up just Monday ;-)

> As to kernel components without corresponding user-level "managers",
> look no farther than OpenSSI.  Our hope was that we could adapt to a
> user-land membership service and this interface thru configfs would
> drive all our kernel subsystems.

Well, node manager still can provide you the input as to which nodes are
configured, which in a way translates to "membership". The thing it
doesn't seem to provide yet is the supsend/modify/resume cycle which for
example the RHAT DLM seems to require.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb at suse.de>

--