[Linux-cluster] Fencing Problems

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Tue Jul 5 15:02:50 UTC 2005

Patrick Caulfield (pcaulfie at redhat.com) wrote:

> > Would this be possible if GFS implemented an on-disk quota system?
> >

> GFS does have quotas but I don't see what they have to do with fencing. If you
> meant a "quorum disk" then the answer is "yes". But we don't have a quorum disk
> facility.

How does the presence or use of a quorum disk prevent queued buffers from
flying out and hitting the disk?  Typically, quorum disks have been used to
prevent (or detect) multiple partitions, as a primary form of cluster
membership, etc.

A SCSI reservation as a secondary quorum determinant is more like "fencing"
than a traditional quorum disk, but that's open to argument of course ;)

-- Lon