[Linux-cluster] A few GFS newbie questions: journals, etc

JACOB_LIBERMAN at Dell.com JACOB_LIBERMAN at Dell.com
Wed Jul 6 04:04:56 UTC 2005

Jason,

LVM2 has a vgextend command that can be used to add a new PV to a vg.
There is also an lvextend and ext2online so you can increase the size of
the lv without dismounting it. This is slightly different than a
pvextend, but I believe it achieves the same end result.

So a process you might be able to try is:

1. extend the LUN on the SAN
2. use fdisk to create a new partition on the LUN
3. use partprobe -s to dynamically redetect the new partition
4. make a new filesystem on the partition
5. use vgextend to add the new PV to the VG
6. use lvextend to add new space to the LV
7. use ext2online of gfs_grow to tarck out the filesystem on the new
space *without* dismounting or rebooting

I've used to above procedure under RHEL4 with LVM2 and an ext3
filesystem. I have not tried it w/GFS yet because our reference lab is
down for maintenance.

Thanks, jacob