[Linux-cluster] A few GFS newbie questions: journals, etc

AJ Lewis alewis at redhat.com
Wed Jul 6 19:01:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 09:17:32AM -0500, Jason Lanclos wrote:
> > A simpler method will be create a NEW LUN, scan it, pvcreate, add it to
> > existing VG with vgextend, and extend your volume lvextend. At least you
> > don't have to mess with existing partitions.
>
> Ok.. what happens when you reach the max LUNs or max partitions???
> And I can only imagine the administration nightmare it would be to manage with several
> volumes spread over multiple LUNs. The whole point of a SAN is to simplify management of data storage.
> And what about copy/swap? Spreading a volume over multiple LUNs would make using this feature of the SAN impossible / very
> dangerous to do while volumes are mounted.
> So.. One Volume, One LUN, One partition is the easiest way.
> There are prolly a thousand different ways to "make it work",
> but I wouldn't consider that part of the whole "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" concept.

Just out of curiousity - if you're using your array to do volume management
anyway - why use lvm at all?

--
AJ Lewis                                   Voice:  612-638-0500
Red Hat                                    E-Mail: alewis at redhat.com
One Main Street SE, Suite 209
Minneapolis, MN 55414

Current GPG fingerprint = D9F8 EDCE 4242 855F A03D  9B63 F50C 54A8 578C 8715
Grab the key at: http://people.redhat.com/alewis/gpg.html or one of the
many keyservers out there...