[Linux-cluster] fence device

Jonathan E Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Fri Jul 29 02:44:27 UTC 2005

On Jul 28, 2005, at 9:18 PM, Q.L wrote:

> So, is there any 8 ports brocade switch that support fencing agent?

Pretty much all brocade switches are supported by the (included)
fence_brocade agent.

> can Qlogic switch work?

I think so.  We have a fence_sanbox2 agent... not sure about all the
models it supports - perhaps all, perhaps one.  Help, anyone?

>  If I use a switch without fencing agent, can I
> use a manual fencing way to get system work?

Yes, but it will require manual intervention every time you have (or
test) a failure.

>  In fact, what I want to
> study is the Symmetric lock principle, especially at the time
> concurrent write/read to the storage pool from both nodes, without
> considering one point failure.

If you had a third machine, you could use GNBD.  The GNBD server would
be a SPOF, but if it's just for testing, it would be fine.  GNBD would
turn your third box into a iSCSI-like device which has built in I/O
fencing support.

  brassow