[Linux-cluster] Can I use cman instead of the HA (High Availability) package?

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Tue Jun 7 17:12:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 23:48 -0400, Coman Iliut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently have two servers with gfs/cman/dlm, but I also use the HA
> or "heartbeat" packeg to implement an active/passive design with IP
> takeover.
>
> Can I use cman for this instead of the heartbeat package?
>
> There are a number of overlaps between the cman/ccs and HA/heartbeat.
> For example, both packages send heartbeats. Also, both gfs and HA try
> to do fencing, gfs via fence_tool, and HA with STONITH (shoot the
> other node in the head).
>
> I would really like to use only cman if possible.

Add/edit the <rm> tag:

	<rm>
                <resources>
                        <ip address="192.168.76.28" monitor_link="yes"/>
		</resources>
                <service name="example1">
                        <ip ref="192.168.76.28"/>
		</service>
		<service name="example2">
                        <ip address="192.168.76.29" monitor_link="yes"/>
		</service>
	</rm>

In example 1, the IP is defined as a global resource which can then be
used by a service (and reassigned, if so desired).

In example 2, the IP is defined as a private resource for the service.

They're functionally equivalent in this case.

-- Lon