[Linux-cluster] A few GFS newbie questions: journals, etc

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Wed Jun 8 21:02:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Lon Hohberger wrote:
> Need one journal per node, physical or virtual.  So, 20 is your magic
> number.

Got'cha. Is there any way to expand this at a later date, or I want to set
it to the highest possible number right away?

> lock_dlm is symmetric, lock_gulm is client/server.  Generally, your lock
> servers should not be accessing the GFS file system, though it is
> allowed.  This gives a lower chance of failures for the lock servers.

<...>

> (b) an asymmetric setup with a separate lock server cluster.  GFS
> Clients connecting to the lock server cluster have no "votes" at all, so
> as long as a majority of the lock server cluster is online, any one of
> the GFS cluster nodes can come online and access the file system.

I think this sounds like a reasonable way to go - make the physical
servers (or a couple of them) the lock servers, and set up the GFS clients
as client-only. For this case, will I need to do lock_gulm? If so, I'll
have to do some research on how to set that up.

> With most lock_dlm setups, nodes have one vote.  In that case, you must
> have...
>
>  floor((n+1)/2)
>
> ...nodes online for a quorum to form (except in the 2-node case).

Great - thanks!