[Linux-cluster] Newbie GFS guestion

Michal Illich, adresa do konferenci list at illich.cz
Thu Jun 23 08:48:32 UTC 2005

Hello,

	I have read the basic documentation and the FAQ on gfs wiki, but I still
don't quite understand few things.

	For example: I'll set up GFS on 10 computers, each has 12 disks, no RAID. I
want to access the shared data from all computers the same way as it was a
local filesystem.

	1. So far, using it as described in example is what GFS can do, ok?

	2. Now one disk breaks (no data accessible on it). What will happen to the
data on GFS? I understood from FAQ that metadata (file size and so on) will
survive, but I care for the precious data...

	3. To make it worse, one entire computer (with 12 disks of data for GFS)
breaks. What will happen now?

	4. Is there a redundancy in data storage? (I'm fine if it takes 2-3 times
more space and makes the system fault-tolerant)

	Thanks, have a nice day,

Michal Illich