[Linux-cluster] A few more newbie questions about gulm

Michael Conrad Tadpol Tilstra mtilstra at redhat.com
Mon Jun 27 13:12:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 11:27:17AM -0500, Nate Carlson wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> OK, I'm trying to get GULM working, and running into some initial issues -
> just want to try to clarify a few things to make sure I'm understanding
> properly.  :)
>
> I'm basing things on the document at:
> http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/gulm/gulmusage.txt
>
> I'm running the current CVS STABLE branch of code, on a 2.6.12 kernel.
>
> Now, for the questions:
>
> 1) With gulm, do I still need to join the cluster with 'cman_tool join'
>    and 'fence_tool join'?

No.  cman and gulm do the same thing, so only one of them is needed.
gulm also does fencing a little differnt than cman.  Cman talks to the
fenced program to fence a node, gulm execs fence_node.

> 2) Do I need to list all nodes in the cluster.conf, or just lock servers?
>    I realize I need to list lock servers separately in the <gulm> section,
>    and lock servers need to be listed as <clusternode>'s, but do the other
>    boxes also need to be listed?

All of the nodes must be listed. (how else would you fence them if
needed?)

> 2a) If other boxes do need to be listed, is it possible to add/remove
>     boxes without having to restart cluster services on all the other
>     boxes?

Mostly.  The <gulm> section cannot change while gulm is running anywhere
in  the cluster.  The other sections can change when ever.

--
Michael Conrad Tadpol Tilstra
Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.