[Linux-cluster] Re: Kernel RPMS

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Mar 17 18:19:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 01:00:20PM +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> The alpha RPMS for the cluster on RHEL4 are available here:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/cfeist/cluster/RHEL4/alpha/latest_rpms/
>
> However, they depend on the unavailable kernel RPMS, namely 2.6.9-6.16.EL. Could
> you please put either the binary or source kernels out there so that we can
> start testing? Or, if they are available, could you let us know where they are?

Or making the src.rpm available? :)

Just a note on external kernel module packaging. It is being discussed
at fedora-devel, but the main thing is that you should not use the
kernel's version/release in the package's version/release, instead the
version/release of the package should be related to the kernel module
source itself (so something like 6.1-27.2 instead of 2.6.9-27.2),
while the kernel's evr should be reflected in the package's _name_.

Even if this sounds perplexed it is the only way to allow concurrent
installs for different kernels while still allowing for smooth package
upgrades within a kernel itself.

So

GFS-kernel-2.6.9-27.2.i686.rpm

would become

GFS-kernel-2.6.9-6.16.EL-6.1-27.2.i686.rpm
(or in ATrpms' style GFS-kmdl-2.6.9-6.16.EL-6.1-27.2.i686.rpm)

The issues with binary kernel modules packages is that there is a two
dimensional config space in versioning (the kernel's and the module's)
and rpm can only cope with one of the two. Anything trying to mix them
(by appending them or similar) is doomed to break, unless you closely
sync kernel and GFS releases, which is not the preferred model of
updating.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net