[Linux-cluster] GFS-Cluster and Virtualization

Joerg Wendland wendland at scan-plus.de
Fri Mar 18 10:01:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 11:38:03AM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Theoretically, you could use GFS to let your VMs running Linux access
> the same storage on one system also.  It depends on whether VMWare will
> allow the separate VMs use the same storage device for GFS.

It will, we have a 12-node GFS-cluster running atop 4 VMware ESX-Server.
One has to use a seperate LUN attached as "System LUN" to a seperate
virtual SCSI-controller in each VM for the GFS.  Using a virtual disk on
VMFS will cause lots of trouble (regarding SCSI-resets and such).

HTH,
  Joerg

--
| ScanPlus GmbH F&E                                     fon +49-731-92013-0   |
| Griesbadgasse 7, 89073 Ulm, Germany                   fax +49-731-92013-159 |