[Linux-cluster] RE: [Clusters_sig] Planning a Cluster meeting at OLS

Daniel Phillips phillips at redhat.com
Wed May 11 02:18:15 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 21:51, Steven Dake wrote:
> I agree that a larger time slot is very important to discuss all of
> the relevant facts and approaches we have.  I for example would like
> an hour or so to discuss group messaging approaches.

I will go to that!

> The approach of continuing the work taking place in Germany is very
> problematic..  Many of the key people will not be at the Germany
> summit because 1) it hasn't yet been announced and 2) its too late to
> get any kind of travel approval 3) the cost of a germany summit trip
> being 4k places it outside the boundaries of what most U.S.
> companies are willing to fork out.

I booked my travel just 4 days ago and got a very decent rate ($750 CAD
direct Toronto/Frankfurt return).  It is not too late (but very nearly
so...)

> OLS is a far superior venue for any kind of cluster summit meeting
> since extending travel for 1-2 days is pretty approachable for those
> already attending OLS.

In truth, pre-OLS was my first choice as well, however the generous
sponsorship offer of S.A.P. prevailed.  And there are certain very big
advantages in collaborating with the potential developers of Linux
cluster _applications_ now, rather than later after infrastructure is
already set in concrete.  Also, we fully expect that a number of
European cluster developers who might otherwise be excluded from the
event to be able to attend.  Who knows, we might even be able to
attract Andrea Arcangelli, who is not a cluster developer but no doubt
would be a very good one after a few days study.

We will just try to do the best we can with audio/visual support in
order to include those who can't make the trip, to the fullest extent
possible.

> I suggest the cluster meeting at OLS be a
> standalone meeting, perhaps based upon some report out of the results
> of the germany meeting instead of a continuation of that effort.

That sounds good to me.

Regards,

Daniel