[Linux-cluster] Compile problems with 2.6.9 source tarballs

Sebastian Kayser mls at skayser.de
Thu May 12 11:52:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 04:05:31PM -0500, Michael Conrad Tadpol Tilstra wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 10:50:18PM +0200, Sebastian Kayser wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > today i have been trying to get linux-cluster up and running on a debian
> > sarge box (installed today via debian-installer rc3).
> >
> > Therefor i downloaded the tarballs from
> >
> >     http://people.redhat.com/cfeist/cluster/tgz/
> >
> > and ran all the .patch files against a vanilla 2.6.9 kernel. The patched
> > kernel compiled fine.
> >
> > I was about to compile & install the additional tools, daemons, and
> > modules when i encountered several errors. For example cman-kernel
> > (although i just noticed that this builds the module i already
> > built inside the kernel tree) gave me
> >
> > 1. cd /usr/local/src/linux-cluster/cman-kernel-2.6.9-31
> > 2. ./configure --kernel_src=/usr/src/linux (link to linux-2.6.9)
> > 3. make (results beneath)
>
> last i checked, you need to run 'make install'
> the cluster cvs tree is amde of multiple seperate componates.  Many of
> which depend on the others.  So the various headers and libraries need
> to be installed before the other parts will compile.
>
> try that first.

thanks alot. That brought me on the right track.  Manual appliing the
kernel patches from the components directories wasn't a good idea at all
(that messed up the includes in the kernel tree).

Initially i was confused because i used the separate component tarballs
from the above url and they lack the main Makefile for all components
(which is included in CVS and contains the right order to build the
components).

Today i fetched the CVS snapshot from

    http://people.redhat.com/cfeist/cluster/cvs_snapshots/

and just ran "configure" and "make install" from the contained cluster/
directory and everything went fine. Yippiee!, up on my way to the next
obstacles =).

Regards,

Sebastian