[Linux-cluster] ./configure, make , make install problem on gentoo linux with a 2.6.11 kernel

James Eastman james.eastman at fedex.com
Mon May 23 03:22:58 UTC 2005

All:

I hope this email finds you doing well.  As you have probably already guessed, I am having issues getting GFS to build/install properly.  My plans for my 5 GFS enabled boxes is to use them as an Oracle 10g grid.  Yet I digress ... Here's OS specs on my machine(s):

oragrid5 root # uname -a
Linux oragrid5.corp.fedex.com 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 #1 SMP Mon May 2 11:07:22 CDT 2005 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
oragrid5 root #

As you can see I'm running a 2.6.11 kernel.  So I decide to get the latest CVS snapshot and began my compiling adventure.  Here're the CVS comands I ran to get the latest source code:

cvs -d :pserver:cvs at sources.redhat.com:/cvs/cluster login cvs
cvs -d :pserver:cvs at sources.redhat.com:/cvs/cluster checkout cluster/gfs
cvs -d :pserver:cvs at sources.redhat.com:/cvs/cluster checkout cluster/gfs-kernel
cvs -d :pserver:cvs at sources.redhat.com:/cvs/cluster checkout cluster/gfs2
cvs -d :pserver:cvs at sources.redhat.com:/cvs/cluster checkout cluster/gfs2-kernel

Thus I believe I have the latest available code.  So, I begin my adventure with ./configure --kernel_src=/usr/src/linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r6	 .

Here's what I see:

oragrid5 cluster # ./configure --kernel_src=/usr/src/linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r6
configure cman-kernel

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure dlm-kernel

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure gfs-kernel

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure gfs2-kernel

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure gnbd-kernel

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure magma

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure ccs

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure cman

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure dlm

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure fence

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure iddev

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure gfs

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure gfs2

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure gnbd

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure gulm

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure magma-plugins

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure rgmanager

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

configure cmirror

Configuring Makefiles for your system...
Completed Makefile configuration

oragrid5 cluster #

Oh the sweet smell of ./confugre success.  This causes me to be confident.  Thus, my next step is to do a make.  Here's what I see:

oragrid5 cluster # make
cd cman-kernel && make install sbindir=/root/cluster/build/sbin libdir=/root/cluster/build/lib mandir=/root/cluster/build/man incdir=/root/cluster/build/incdir module_dir=/root/cluster/build/module sharedir=/root/cluster/build slibdir=/root/cluster/build/slib DESTDIR=/root/cluster/build
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/cluster/cman-kernel'
cd src && make install
make[2]: Entering directory `/root/cluster/cman-kernel/src'
rm -f cluster
ln -s . cluster
make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r6 M=/root/cluster/cman-kernel/src modules USING_KBUILD=yes
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r6'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `modules'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r6'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/cluster/cman-kernel/src'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/cluster/cman-kernel'
make: *** [all] Error 2
oragrid5 cluster #

Huh?  I don't get it.  My configure worked smoothly.  Also, I have ALL of the lvm2 and device mappper stuff compiled into the kernel.  Further I've done an 'emerge lvm2' and an 'emerge device-mapper' to get the OS parts for those tools installed.  I know this is probably a very simple and possibly previously answered questsion.  Any help with this or directions to the already existing thread that may help solve my problem are greatly appreciated.

--
James

"You know you've achieved perfection in design and development, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away." -- Antione de Saint-Exupery