[Linux-cluster] Error locking on node, Internal lvm error, when creating logical volume

Sean Boyd sboyd at redhat.com
Sun Nov 6 05:33:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 13:29 +0100, Marco Masotti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've setup a 2-node cluster using the following versions of software:
>
> - cluster 1.01.00
> - device-mapper 1.01.05
> - LVM2 2.0.1.09
>
> - kernel is 2.6.13-4 SMP (RH-FC4), running on physical SMP machine [biceleron]
> - kernel is 2.16.13-ARCH (as packaged by Archlinux), running on  GSX virtual machine [archlinux], GSX software running on [biceleron]
>

> The cluster is formed without any evident problem at startup.
>
> My problem:
> -----------
> The problem happens when I try to create a logical volume, getting the following:
>
> On the first node [biceleron],  with the actual physical disk attached:
>
> [root at biceleron]# lvcreate -L10000 -ntest1vg VolGroupHdf
>   Error locking on node archlinux: Internal lvm error, check syslog
>   Failed to activate new LV.
>

> On the second node [archlinux],  /var/log/daemon.log shows:
>
> Nov  3 13:08:48 archlinux lvm[2670]: Volume group for uuid not
>  found: np60FVh26Fpvf3NlNrwM0EIiaNa41un5nR6ShP77FzT5waM6CoS0Bm2vzu0X8Izb

This may have to do with the fact that kpartx is not integrated into the
rc.sysinit script. Therefore there are no mapped partitions in
the /etc/lvm/.cache.

Make sure your lvm.conf has filters for the disks associated with the dm
device.

Make sure you have run kpartx -a (to map dm partitions)  then restart
the clvm daemon (to populate the cache with the partitions).

This is an issue with RHEL4 U2. I haven't checked FC4.

--Sean