[Linux-cluster] Fence device, How it work

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Wed Nov 9 15:09:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 16:46 -0800, Michael Will wrote:

> In active/passive heartbeat style setups I set the nice-failback
> option so it does not try to reclaim ressources unless the other
> node fails, but I wonder what is the best path in a multinode
> active/active setup.

Oh!  That's the default behavior.  Place the services where you want
them on cluster startup, and they won't go back to that node after a
failover unless you set them up to do so.

There's no clean way to specify "preferred node - but only care at the
first quorum formation" at the moment for several reasons.  So, the
"dead cluster -> form quorum -> place service X on node Y" doesn't work.

This is partially because we don't really know the quorum incarnation #s
(we have to function without them), and partially because nodes can join
the cluster but never start the resource manager pieces (ex: if they
were only mounting GFS volumes).

-- Lon