[Linux-cluster] Advice on Storage Hardware

Michael Will mwill at penguincomputing.com
Fri Nov 11 22:05:10 UTC 2005

In our case there would be a serial and an ethernet heartbeat between
the systems.

If one system detects the lack of responsiveness of the other system, it
shuts it down,
does an IP takeover and mounts the partition that belonged to the other
system and
now offers it under the new IP address. When the other system has been
brought up
again, and has been considered stable, it is being advised to take back
it's ressource,
which does initiate the other system to release it and once that has
been confirmed, it
takes over the IP address and starts it's nfs service for that partition
again.

I have only configured this for active/passive setups with a single
partition so far, but
to extend that to two partitions and an active/active setup should not
be too hard.

Michael