[Linux-cluster] gfs and fencing

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Thu Nov 17 13:54:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 13:38 +0900, Naoki wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 12:14 +0300, Denis Medvedev wrote:
> > Lon Hohberger wrote:
> >
> > >If you don't care about having to do manual intervention, you can use
> > >manual fencing.  However, I *strongly* recommend against it.  IIRC,
> > >there are several example configurations for different power switches in
> > >the archive for this mailing list.
> > >

> > Why not have ssh -like fencing? On a separate channel a ssh command can
> > be issued to another host to reboot or to just kill cluster processes?
> > In Linux-HA stonith has a ssh feature.
> > Moreover, why not have a fence_stonith which will invoke stonith as a
> > fencing agent?
>
> How about using OpenIPMI to shut off the power?  Works a treat for us
> but have not used it in this context.

We have a wrapper that wraps around ipmitool, but on most of the systems
we have tested, either ipmitool or the IPMI hardware does not work
reliably.  Using ipmi_ui (from OpenIPMI) seems a bit overcomplicated for
this particular purpose - have you had better luck with ipmi_ui?

The idea of using IPMI-over-LAN fencing is great, as long as you have an
extra NIC and redundant power supplies =)

-- Lon