[Linux-cluster] umount failed - device is busy

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at cc.kuleuven.be
Tue Oct 11 19:16:55 UTC 2005

Lon Hohberger wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 17:48 +0200, Herta Van den Eynde wrote:
>

>>Bit of extra information:  the system that was running the services got
>>STONITHed by the other cluster member shortly before midnight.
>>The services all failed over nicely, but the situation remains:  if I
>>try to stop or relocate a service, I get a "device is busy".
>>I suppose that rules out an intermittent issue.
>>
>>There's no mounts below mounts.
>

> Drat.
>
> Nfsd is the most likely candidate for holding the reference.
>
> Unfortunately, this is not something I can track down; you will have to
> either file a support request and/or a Bugzilla.  When you get a chance,
> you should definitely try stopping nfsd and seeing if that clears the
> mystery references (allowing you to unmount).  If the problem comes from
> nfsd, it should not be terribly difficult to track down.
>
> Also, you should not need to recompile your kernel to probe all the LUNs
> per device; just edit /etc/modules.conf:
>
> options scsi_mod max_scsi_luns=128
>
> ... then run mkinitrd to rebuild the initrd image.
>
> -- Lon
Next maintenance window is 4 weeks away, so I won't be able to test the
nfsd hypothesis anytime soon.  In the meantime, I'll file a support
request.  I'll keep you posted.

At least the unexpected STONITH confirms that the failover still works.

The /etc/modules.conf tip is a big time saver.  Rebuilding the modules
takes forever.

Thanks, Lon.

Herta