[Linux-cluster] Re: GFS, what's remaining

Daniel Phillips phillips at istop.com
Mon Sep 5 15:49:49 UTC 2005

On Monday 05 September 2005 10:14, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2005-09-03T01:57:31, Daniel Phillips <phillips at istop.com> wrote:
> > The only current users of dlms are cluster filesystems.  There are zero
> > users of the userspace dlm api.
>
> That is incorrect...

Application users Lars, sorry if I did not make that clear.  The issue is
whether we need to export an all-singing-all-dancing dlm api from kernel to
userspace today, or whether we can afford to take the necessary time to get
it right while application writers take their time to have a good think about
whether they even need it.

> ...and you're contradicting yourself here:

How so?  Above talks about dlm, below talks about cluster membership.

> > What does have to be resolved is a common API for node management.  It is
> > not just cluster filesystems and their lock managers that have to
> > interface to node management.  Below the filesystem layer, cluster block
> > devices and cluster volume management need to be coordinated by the same
> > system, and above the filesystem layer, applications also need to be
> > hooked into it. This work is, in a word, incomplete.

Regards,

Daniel