[Linux-cluster] Using GFS without a network?

Steve Wilcox spwilcox at att.com
Thu Sep 8 17:22:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 13:16 +0200, Bob Marcan wrote:
> Steve Wilcox wrote:

> >>HP-UX ServiceGuard words well with multi-initiator SCSI configurations, and is fully supported by HP.  It is sold that way for small 2-4 node clusters when cost is an issue, although FC has become a big favorite (um...money maker) in recent years.  Yes, SCSI bus resets are a pain, but they are handled by HP-UX, not ServiceGuard.
> >>
> >>--Keith
> >

> > Hmmm...   Are you sure you're thinking of a multi-initiator _bus_ and
> > not something like an external SCSI array (i.e. nike arrays or some such
> > thing)?  I know that multi-port SCSI hubs are available, and more than
> > one HBA per node is obviously supported for multipathing, but generally
> > any multi-initiator SCSI setup will be talking to an external raid
> > array, not a simple SCSI bus, and even then bus resets can cause grief.
> > Admittedly, I'm much more familiar with the Alpha server side of things
>
> ==========================> should be unfamiliar
>
> > (multi-initiator buses were definitely never supported under DEC unix /
> > Tru64) , so I could be wrong about HP-ux.  I just can't imagine that a
> > multi-initiator bus wouldn't be a nightmare.
> >
> > -steve
> >
> > --
>
> In the past i was using the SCSI cluster on OpenVMS(AXP,VAX) and Tru64.
> At home i have 2 DS10 with memmory channel, shared SCSI Tru64 cluster.
> Memmory channel was prerequisite in early days, now you can use ethernet
> as CI.
> I still have some customers using the SCSI cluster on Tru64.
> Two of this are banks, running this configuration a few years.
> Without any problems. Using host based shadowing.
> Tru64 has single point of failure in this configuration.
> Quorum disk can't be shadowed.
> OpenVMS doesn't have this limitation.
>
> It is supported.
>
> OpenVMS
> http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82FINAL/6318/6318pro_002.html#interc_sys_table
>
> Tru64
> http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/ARHGWETE/CHNTRXXX.HTM#sec-generic-cluster
>
> Best regards, Bob

I'll ignore the insult and get to the meat of the matter...

I'm well aware of that doc.  I got burned by it a few years ago when I
set up a dev cluster of ES40's based on it.  Everything was humming
along just fine until I load tested our Oracle database - at something
like 700,000 transactions per hour, guess what happened?  I had a flurry
of bus resets, followed by a flurry of advfs domain panics, resulting in
a crashed cluster.  When I called my gold support TAM for help in
debugging the issue, I was told that "yeah, shared buses will do that.
That's why we don't provide technical support for that configuration".
When I pointed out that their own documentation claimed it was a
"supported" configuration I was told that "supported" only meant
technically possible as far as that doc goes - not that HP would provide
break-fix support.  Maybe that's changed in the last couple years, but
I'd doubt it - as my TAM said, shared SCSI buses WILL do that, no way
around it really.  If you're not having problems with resets, you're
simply not loading the bus that heavily.

It's all a moot point though - like Lon said, this is a Linux mailing
list, not a Tru64, HP-ux, or (god forbid) VMS list, so unless this
discussion is going somewhere productive we should probably stop wasting
bandwidth.  If you want to have a Unix pissing contest, we should do it
off list.

-steve