[Linux-cluster] gnbd root device

Jeremy Sanders jss at ast.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 16 09:38:46 UTC 2005

Hi -

We've been trying to use gnbd for the root devices of diskless linux
systems booted from the network. We're not using gfs. gnbd is used as a
plain block device.

We use an initrd to start up the networking and connect to the gnbd
server.

This seems to work fairly well, except the reconnection doesn't appear to
work if the server is rebooted. The client hangs indefinitely. gnbd is run
from a ram disk.

Does anyone know any fundamental reason why this should be a problem?

Does anyone have a working setup like this?

Thanks very much!

Jeremy

PS please CC me as I'm not on the mailing list

--
Jeremy Sanders <jss at ast.cam.ac.uk>   http://www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jss/
X-Ray Group, Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge, UK.