[Linux-cluster] High availability mail system

Jason Wilkinson jason_wilk at stircrazy.net
Thu Sep 22 17:53:16 UTC 2005

Robert Olsson wrote:
> Im trying to put up a high availability mail system with high
> performance who support up to 300 000 mailboxes using a linux
> cluster.
>
> I have looked around for open source cluster solution, but so far
> only found solution like SAN for shared filesystem with high
> performance.
>

> Any suggestion how to solve the issues using open source software?
>
> The system should support
> - Mailbox replication
> .- Mailbox synchronization

Why are you replicating the mailbox. Why don't you put the mailboxes on NFS
and just have all of the servers dump into the same mailbox. The POP3
frontends can all pull from the same store as well.

Mail servers are one of the odd services that I've seen where it isn't
necessary to implement a cluster to scale well.

http://shupp.org/maps/ispcluster.html