[Linux-cluster] Cisco fence agent

Matthew B. Brookover mbrookov at mines.edu
Tue Apr 11 14:49:04 UTC 2006

I do not know if this will help, but here is what I put together.

We have 3 Cisco 3750 switches.  I am currently using SNMP to turn off
the ports of a host that is being fenced.  I wrote a perl script called
fence_cisco that works with GFS 6.  I have attached a copy of
fence_cisco to this message and its config file.  I do not have much in
the way of documentation for it, and it will probably take some hacking
to get it to work with a current version of GFS.  If you know a little
perl, writing a fencing agent is not very difficult.

I have also included a copy for the config file for fence_cisco.  The
first two lines specify the SNMP community string and the IP address for
the switch.  The rest is a list of hosts and the ports they use.  You
will have to talk to your local network guru to figure out Cisco
community strings and the numbers involved.  It took some tinkering to
figure out how Cisco does this stuff, and even after writing the code, I
am still not sure that I understand it.  I do know that it does work,
GFS does do the correct things during a crash.

Most people use one of the power supply switches.  Redhat provides the
fence_apc agent that will turn off the power to a node that needs to be
fenced.  I like the network option because the host that is having
problems will be able to write log entries after it has been fenced.

You will need to get the Net::SNMP module from cpan.org to use
fence_cisco.
Matt