[Linux-cluster] CLVM and AoE

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Thu Apr 13 14:40:22 UTC 2006

Aaron Stewart wrote:
> Hey Bowie,
>
> Wow.. That's perfect.  Thanks for the response.
>
> I have a question about whether GFS is a requirement.. Since each lv
> is a separate partition mounted on xen, does GFS make sense, or can
> we use ext3/xfs/etc.?

What you get from GFS is the ability for multiple nodes to mount the
filesystem simultaneously.  If you are never going to do this, then
you can use any filesystem you want.  CLVM can handle management of
the lv's across the nodes.

If you don't use GFS, just make absolutely sure that there is no way
that two nodes could mount the same lv.  As far as I know, there is
nothing in the cluster that will prevent an ext3 or xfs filesystem
from being mounted by multiple nodes.  And if it happens, you have
almost guaranteed data corruption.

--
Bowie