[Linux-cluster] [Fwd: Re: [Iscsitarget-devel] iSCSI on Fedora Core 5 or custom]

Erling Nygaard erling.nygaard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 07:21:46 UTC 2006

Brenton

GFS does not depend on any of the SCSI Release, Reserve or persistent
reserve commands.
GFS does not really depend on SCSI at all, just so happens that most
shared storage devices are SCSI based :-)

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away GFS did attempt to use
special SCSI commands for locking. The attempt was discontinued....

Erling

On 4/18/06, Brenton Rothchild <brentonr at dorm.org> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> There has been some minor discussion on the iscsitarget-devel list
> regarding the fact that the current iscsitarget code doesn't fully
> implement the SCSI commands Release and Reserve, nor does it implement
> persistent reserve in/out.
>
> It was also mentioned that some cluster software, such as
> MSCS (Microsoft Cluster), will possibly corrupt data.
>
> It was then asked if GFS would depend on these unimplemented
> SCSI commands, and the response from Ming Zhang (below) wasn't 100%
> sure.
>
> So, would an iSCSI target lacking Release, Reserve, and persistent
> reserve in/out cause problems with GFS?
>
> Thanks!
> -Brenton

-
Mac OS X. Because making Unix user-friendly is easier than debugging Windows