[Linux-cluster] < cluster.conf problem >

Jonathan E Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Wed Apr 19 16:45:04 UTC 2006

Quorum is a number of machines greater than or equal to (n/2 +1) of the
total cluster machines.
There is no way for two groups of machines in a cluster to have
"quorum".  Only one group (which may be all the machines) can have this
status.

When a group of machines has quorum, they can perform cluster
operations.  The idea of quorum prevents "split-brain" or two separate
groups of machines from thinking they are in control of the cluster -
and thus potentially corrupting resources because they do not
acknowledge the existence of the other group.  (Think multiple writer
problem.)

You should reboot all your machines at the same time.  (Or at least do
cman_tool join on all the machines at close to the same time.)  This
allows the machines to form a quorate group and start performing
cluster operations - like starting and performing fencing.

  brassow

P.S. Manual fencing sucks for anything more than simple evaluation.  My
guess is that you will encounter more problems/questions because of
manual fencing.