[Linux-cluster] Cluster Planning

Filipe Miranda filipe.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 15:11:31 UTC 2006

Scott,

The RHCS for RHEL4 does not requires a SAN like its antecessor RHCS for
RHEL3.
All quorum control and cluster management is done throught network, so you
will be fine without a SAN when using RHCS for RHEL4.

The only problem you will encounter is that without a SAN you will probably
have to sincronize data between the servers if your application stores data
on internar discs on the servers....

Also to use an active-active (same service active on both servers)
configuration + loadbalancing you will need more than 2 servers; at least 4
servers, 2 for loadbalancing (1 active/1 backup) and 2 for the critical
service active concurently on both servers (no high availability, no
failover).

But if the active-active is for the servers (hardware), which means not the
same service on high availability  then; 2 servers doing loadbalancing (1
active/1 backup), 2 servers providing 2 critical services, one actice on
node A and the other one active on node B (failover activated)

Well thats my understanding about Red Hat's Cluster Suite... Please correct
me if I Am wrong...

Att.
Filipe Miranda

On 4/20/06, Scott Kellogg <skellogg at egginc.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if I could get some assistance in setting up a two
> node cluster.
>
> We have 2 Dell PowerEdge 850 machines running RHEL4.  Our license for
> Cluster Suite is still in purchasing.  The main thing in the Cluster
> Suite documentation which confuses me is the use of a SAN.  RHEL4
> docs claim that the need for a SAN has been eliminated, but I'm
> having trouble find more information.  Most of the docs assume you
> are using a SAN. My customer could not afford the SAN, just the servers.
>
> I would like to set up a high-availablity environment.  I understand
> that due to the hardware configuration (no SAN, no RAID) that there
> are still points of failure.  I'm hoping to set up a simple active-
> passive configuration.  We will be running LAMP applications.  If the
> primary server cannot deliver services, I'd like to automatically cut
> over to the backup.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to set up active-active and load balancing, since
> the servers have DRAC4 fence devices for use with STONITH.  However,
> since there is no SAN, I'm not sure how data will be mirrored across
> the two machines.
>
> Any help is appreciated!
>
> Thank you,
> Scott Kellogg