[Linux-cluster] Cluster Planning

Filipe Miranda filipe.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 15:53:14 UTC 2006

Scott,

On 4/20/06, Scott Kellogg <skellogg at egginc.com> wrote:

> The only problem you will encounter is that without a SAN you will
> probably have to sincronize data between the servers if your application
> stores data on internar discs on the servers....
>

> Yes, this is the issue that seems to have multiple solutions.  I've looked
> at NFS, DRBD, rysnc, and Unison, but none of these technologies has jumped
> out at me as the best one.

Correct

Also to use an active-active (same service active on both servers)
> configuration + loadbalancing you will need more than 2 servers; at least 4
> servers, 2 for loadbalancing (1 active/1 backup) and 2 for the critical
> service active concurently on both servers (no high availability, no
> failover).
>

> You seem to be referring to LVS.  Right, I can't implement that since I
> don't have enough hardware.  I think that active-passive will be the way to
> go.  When the active node dies, the passive node will take over.  The data
> will only be as fresh as the last synchronization.
>
> That begs the question of what happens when the active node comes back up
> ... will the passive node (now active) sync its data to the new active
> node?  This is where picking a synchronization method becomes vital.

Excellent point here.
That's the problem when you dont have a SAN --> sync!

Let's suppose we have a 2 node on failover.
NodeA active NodeB passive.
NodeA should be in sync with NodeB
If NodeA dies, NodeB takes over
NodeB must then continue to sync its data to NodeA (when it becomes
available again)

This a tough job!

About the sync technologies you mentioned:

DRBD
When you will need a special kernel with support for that. Or recompile a
new kenel (be careful since Red Hat wont support any modified piece of
software you use, specially the kernel)

NFS:
You will need a dedicated server to provide shares, right?

Rsync:
Must have pretty intelligent scripts to garantee what we discussed above,
and still not satisfactory

/Filipe

/Scott