[Linux-cluster] Re: Preventing automatic poweron?

Greg Forte gforte at leopard.us.udel.edu
Sat Apr 22 17:13:41 UTC 2006

Troels Arvin wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:42:17 -0400, Greg Forte wrote:
> [...]
>> You either need to bring node 1 back up in
>> "non-cluster mode" (stop cman/rgmanager/etc) or take further steps to
>> prevent node 2 from being powered on.
>
> This reminds me: How about using runlevel 4 as a "network-connected, but
> outside-cluster" runlevel? (I don't recall seeing any specification of
> what runlevel 4 should be used for.)

Sure, makes sense to me.  none of the runlevels are set in stone, it's
just a matter of convention.  I think RHEL+RHCS makes both 3 and 5
cluster-enabled (sans and with X services, respectively), so there's no
reason why 2 and 4 couldn't be the same minus cluster services (2 is
supposed to be "Multiuser, without NFS" according to the comments in
/etc/inittab, but again, that's just convention; and 4 is "unused").
Runlevels 7-9 are also valid, according to the init man page, though
I've never actually tried them.

-g