[Linux-cluster] Re: CS4 Update 2 / GUI problem ?

James Parsons jparsons at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 12:57:13 UTC 2006

Alain Moulle wrote:

>Thanks Jim, it was effectively the problem : the second step
>about managing the fence for each node was missing (but there
>is nothing in documentation about this step and dialog boxes ...)
>
>Another problem/question:
>when you have finished the 3 nodes cluster configuration,
>and Save the file in /etc/cluster/cluster.conf on local node,
>the Icon "Send to Cluster" is not available because the
>cs4 is not active at the moment. But with three nodes,
>even if you try to start the cs4 on this local node (where
>I've done the configuration) , it can't start alone because
>the cluster is not quorate ... and you can't start cman
>on other nodes, it seems that the start is failed because
>of no cluster.conf currently on the node.
>
>So, do we have to do manually the mkdir /etc/cluster on
>both other nodes, and scp of cluster.conf towards both nodes ?
>Or is there another tip via GUI to start the cs4 on three
>nodes despite two nodes have not yet any cluster.conf available ?

Yes, Alain. Currently, you must manually scp the cluster.conf to each
node before starting the cluster. This requirement is considered
unacceptable, however, and ease of cluster deployment is being
aggressively pursued in two projects here.

The first is an app called deploy-tool, which pulls down the necessary
RPMs onto the machines desired as cluster nodes, and installs them AND
copies a preliminary cluster.conf file to each node. Finally, it starts
the cluster service daemons on each node.

The second project with ease of cluster deployment as an important
objective is the Conga project. It will provide a remote method for
deploying clusters, configuring and monitoring them, and even adding and
removing nodes. It will also offer remote storage management and a few
other fun things as well.

Conga and deploy-tool are both in active development, and deploy-tool is
being beta tested now.

Regards,

-Jim