[Linux-cluster] gfs_fsck fails on large filesystem

Stephen Willey stephen.willey at framestore-cfc.com
Wed Aug 2 09:51:05 UTC 2006

> On Tuesday 01 August 2006 18:32, Stephen Willey wrote:

>> The fsck is now running after we added the 137Gb swap drive.  It appears
>> to consistently chew about 4Gb of RAM (sometimes higher) but it is
>> working (for now).
>>
>> Any ballpark idea of how long it'll take to fsck a 45Tb FS?  I know
>> that's a "how long is a piece of string" question, but are we talking
>> hours/days/weeks?
>>
>> Stephen

Is there any way we can determine the progress during all passes?  At
the moment all we're seeing is lines like the following:

(pass1.c:213)  Setting 557096777 to data block

Is this representative of simply the numbers of blocks in the
filesystem?  If so, how do we get the numbers of blocks in the
filesystem while the fsck is running?

We use this FS for backups and we're currently determining whether we'd
be better off just wiping it and re-syncing all our data (which would
take a couple of days, not several) so unless we can get a reliable
indication of how long this will take, we probably won't finish it.

--
Stephen Willey

Senior Systems Engineer, Framestore-CFC
+44 (0)207 344 8000