[Linux-cluster] Re: E-Mail Cluster

Riaan van Niekerk riaan at obsidian.co.za
Wed Aug 2 22:27:32 UTC 2006

Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
> On 2006-08-02, Nicholas Anderson <nicholas at fiocruz.br> wrote:
>> I'm searching in google how to convert from mbox to maildir using
>> sendmail/procmail ....
>
> At my previous job we changed from exim/uw-imap on mbox,
> to exim/docevot on maildir a couple of years ago. Didn't use
> a cluster-fs, only SCSI-based disk failover. For about 500-users.
>
> Right now I'm setting up a similar solution to your... trying
> to support up to 200.000 users on a 5 node cluster, using IBM GPFS.
>
> If sendmail is using procmail to do final mailbox-delivery, I
> think the configuration change should be primarily putting a '/'
> at the end of the path, as that should instruct procmail to
> do maildir-style delivery. At least that's how I've been doing
> it in my ~/.procmailrc. Ref. 'man procmailrc'.
>
>> i have 3000+ users and something like 70GB of
>> emails and  I'll have to test it very well before doing in the
>> production server ....
>
> Sure..  There are a few mbox2maildir converters.. You should probably
> try a few of them and verify that they all give the same result.
>
> Another thing to check is that your cluster-fs handles your load
> well. My main consern would be how well GFS performs on
> maildir-style folders, as most cluster-fs's I've seen are optimized
> for large file streaming I/O. If possible, try to keep a lot of
> file-metadata in cache so that you don't have to go to disk every
> time someone check their maildir for new messages.

We are running 700 000 users on a 2.5 GFS, 4 nodes, with POP, IMAP
(direct access and SquirrelmMail) and SMTP. To make things worse, we use
NFS between our GFS nodes and our mail servers.

We initially had huge performance problems in our setup, which I wrote
in this message:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cluster/2006-July/msg00136.html

We ended up bumping the spindle count from 36 to 60 and then to 114,
without it making a noticeable difference.

Our main killer was Squirrelmail over IMAP (the solution is primarily a
webmail-based one)
Our performance problems were solved by the following:
- removing the folder-size plugin (built-in) and mail quota plugin (3rd
party) reduced the traffic between IMAP servers and storage backend by 40%.
- Implement imap proxy (www.imapproxy.org). This is giving us a 1 to 14
hit ratio. This storage which could not keep up previously, is now
humming along fine.

Our initial mistake was to try and optimise on the FS layer (there
werent any real performance optimizations in our setup to be made) and
throw hardware at the problem, instead of suspecting and optimizing our
application. Despite GFS not being designed for lots of small files, and
not recommended for use with NFS, with the above changes, it performs
more than adequately. We hope to see another performance gain once we
get rid of the NFS and have our mail servers access the GFS directly.

Riaan