[Linux-cluster] gfs_fsck fails on large filesystem

Robert Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Mon Aug 7 15:55:10 UTC 2006

Joe wrote:
> I've tried to look at the code many times. But, as a clustered file
> system is a complex thing, it gets hard to figure out what it's all
> about. I tried to find a "big picture" documentation, at least for
> on-disk layout. The only nearest thing i've found is :
> http://opengfs.sourceforge.net/docs.php , which is the documentation
> written at the time OpenGFS forked from Cistina's code. Although
> principles may still be the sames (or not ?), the code has obviously
> changed and on-disk layout may not be the same, too.
> So, is there some sort of documentation about the principles found in
> GFS (not a design doc, i've read
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt) ? This would
> much help anybody who wishes to enter the code to do it more
> efficientely...
>
> Thanks !

Hi Joe,

I agree that there isn't much good design information out there
regarding GFS.
That might be because it started out as a proprietary product before Red
Hat open-sourced it.
There are some comments in the kernel's gfs_ondisk.h include:

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/cluster/gfs-kernel/src/gfs/gfs_ondisk.h?cvsroot=cluster

Perhaps I'll start working on a GFS1/2 design whitepaper based on some
of the information I've gathered.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Cluster Suite