[Linux-cluster] gfs_fsck fails on large filesystem

Joe joe.devman at yahoo.fr
Mon Aug 7 07:08:13 UTC 2006

Robert Peterson wrote:

> We've tried to kick around ideas on how to improve the speed, such as
> (1) adding an option to only focus on areas where the journals are dirty,
> (2) introducing multiple threads to process the different RGs, and even
> (3) trying to get multiple nodes in the cluster to team up and do
> different
> areas of the file system.  None of these have been implemented yet
> because of higher priorities.  Since this is an open-source project,
> anyone
> could step in and do these.  Volunteers?

I've tried to look at the code many times. But, as a clustered file
system is a complex thing, it gets hard to figure out what it's all
about. I tried to find a "big picture" documentation, at least for
on-disk layout. The only nearest thing i've found is :
http://opengfs.sourceforge.net/docs.php , which is the documentation
written at the time OpenGFS forked from Cistina's code. Although
principles may still be the sames (or not ?), the code has obviously
changed and on-disk layout may not be the same, too.
So, is there some sort of documentation about the  principles found in
OpenGFS (not a design doc, i've read
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt) ? This would much
help anybody who wishes to enter the code to do it more efficientely...

--
Mathieu