[Linux-cluster] NFS on GFS architectural issues / problems

Wendy Cheng wcheng at redhat.com
Mon Aug 21 15:15:48 UTC 2006

Riaan van Niekerk wrote:

> Wendy Cheng wrote:
>
>> Riaan van Niekerk wrote:
>>

>>> My question to you or anyone who is familiar with NFS on GFS, or GFS
>>> in general, which of the following are still valid issues for the
>>> current (6.1u4) version of GFS. If all or most of them still apply,
>>> I can use this as motivation for my customer to strongly consider
>>> going off NFS on GFS. Removing the NFS from our GFS cluster has been
>>> on the cards for quite a while, but has not gained momentum due to
>>> lack of information on the performance gains of such a move (very
>>> difficult to gage) or the architectural problems/limitations of NFS
>>> on GFS (for which the following extract is spot-on).
>>

>> These have been worked on and some of them do have test patches ready
>> to address the issues. However, the changes are non-trivial and may
>> involve base kernel modifiction that we need to get upstream
>> (community linux kernel)  acceptance. The efforts take time since we
>> would like to do it conservatively to preserve GFS1/2 stability.
>> Unless the posted problems have urgent needs (let us know), the
>> current NFS-GFS development focus is on failover (Red Hat bugzilla
>> 132823).
>>
>> Is performance the primary concern you have now ?
>>
>> -- Wendy
>

> Yes, mostly. We have a couple of open service requests for stability.
> They are very intermittent and not reproduceable (and nothing in
> bugzilla seems to match):

All four issues mentioned are still present in RHEL 3/4 and most of them
are not GFS specific. As long as it is a cluster filesystem beneath
linux's nfsd, these issues exist.

I don't plan to defend for NFS - it has inherited problems by its
nature. Moving to GFS natively is good from performance point of view
(one layer less). However, I would suggest you do make some efforts to
understand the problems before taking any significant changes.

Do you have Red Hat support ticket numbers for the mentioned problems
that I can take a look ?

-- Wendy