[Linux-cluster] fencing problem in 2 node cluster using apc fence device

garylua at singnet.com.sg garylua at singnet.com.sg
Tue Aug 22 03:41:01 UTC 2006

Hi Lon,

No problem. Thanks for the reply. I've found out how to enable the power on function already on my Sun x4200 server. Apparently, it's in BIOS under Chipset-> Southbridge setting.

However, I have another query regarding fencing. Is it common practice for a node to be fenced when i do a manual failover? For example, i have an application running on node1. I do a "drag and drop" of the application from node1 to node2 at the cluster configuration interface, causing my application to failover to node2. In this case, is it necessary to fence up node1? If so, how do i go about doing it?

Right now, I can only see fencing kicks in when i down the network on node1. Is there any other situation when i need to fence node1? In other words, do i need to fence node1 every time my application fails over to node2? Thanks in advance!