[Linux-cluster] How to patch the kernel sources instead of building modules?

Thomas Karsten thomas at ideawise.de
Mon Aug 28 03:23:01 UTC 2006

Hallo,

I would like to build GFS into the kernel rather than building the
modules and inserting them into the kernel at runtime. I used the
Makefiles in *-kernel/src to create the patches for the required
modules (cluster-1.02.00).

Each 'make patches' itself seems to copy the kernel sources and to patch
the kernel then. Additionally, it stores the patches in separate files.
I just ignored the created kernel sources, collected the separate files
and patched the kernel with all those patches (which worked fine).

But how can I patch the config files of the kernel, so that I can choose
which module should be compiled into the kernel and which module should
be build as a module? When I compile the patched kernel, the cluster
source files are just ignored by the kernel build system.

Thanks,
Thomas