[Linux-cluster] is necesary to to build GFS on top of LVM ?

Roger Peña Escobio orkcu at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 31 19:16:26 UTC 2006

Hi

I was wondering why in the docs and examples the GFS
filesystem is build on top of a lv "partition" ?
I can understand that if I build the GFS in a direct
scsi attached storage because is not easy to grow the
"device" without destroy the data but the same apply
in an SAN enviroment?
We have here a EMC SAN, where is relative easy to grow
a LUN, so can we skip the LVM layer and build the GFS
filesystem directly over the emcpower device ?

there is any advantage of using LVM in this scenario?

thanks in advance
roger