[Linux-cluster] is necesary to to build GFS on top of LVM ?

Roger Peña Escobio orkcu at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 31 19:39:29 UTC 2006

--- "Patton, Matthew F, CTR, OSD-PA&E"
<Matthew.Patton.ctr at osd.mil> wrote:

> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>
> > there is any advantage of using LVM in this
> scenario?
>
> assuming your LUN is dedicated to a single
> partition, no probably not.  LVM
> comes in handy when growing partitions/disks. Often
> we can't just extend the
> end of the partition because it will run up against
> a neighboring one. So in
> order to have disjoint growth, we need to use LVM
> and Physical Volumes and
> grow that way.

I understand that, but what I don not understant yet
is the "Often we can't extend the end of the
partition"
I am completly new to SAN technologies, so, for me,
the EMC SAN is like a black box where I can create the
LUN but I do not know how it is create _insigth_ the
SAN so I do not know if I have close neighbors :-)
that avoid me grow the LUN

If I can't grow a LUN because the neighbors are too
close, the LVM is the way to go :-)
can you share some of your experience with that ?

thanks
roger