[Linux-cluster] GFS + CORAID Performance Problem

Jayson Vantuyl jvantuyl at engineyard.com
Mon Dec 11 00:01:23 UTC 2006

Tom,

I currently administer a system running a similar but larger setup,
so I may be able to help you.

First, make sure you contact Coraid.  They are really good about
helping with this stuff.

Second, have you looked at /dev/etherd/err?  There is usually a lot
of good debugging there.

Third, have you upgraded the firmware in the Coraid and built the
newest AoE driver?  These are absolutely critical in getting the best
performance / reliability and generally the plain kernel driver has
fallen behind.  They assure me they're working on this and I can
vouch for the fact that this driver is essentially the one in the
kernel with development necessary to make it work--not some sort of
vendor supplied out-of-tree driver.

Finally, make sure you have good switches.  I have had a number of
switches that drop a packet here and there.  These are death to AoE
performance.  Gigabit is generally a must as well.

--
Jayson Vantuyl
Systems Architect
jvantuyl at engineyard.com