[Linux-cluster] GFS + CORAID Performance Problem

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Tue Dec 12 16:15:00 UTC 2006

Jayson Vantuyl wrote:

> I don't know what Coraid recommends, but I usually recommend not
> plugging devices directly into the ports.  I vastly prefer having a
> good gigabit switch there instead.  Here at Engine Yard, we actually
> have two switches that provide redundancy across either port.  The
> current AoE driver is good enough to use both networks to spread the
> load if you have two independent network paths, so you also get
> better performance.  We actually have separate cards in each of our
> servers to prevent failure of an individual network card from being
> an issue (and AoE should handle this well as long as the driver
> doesn't crash in this state).

You can do this with the Coraid devices now?  The last time I checked they
couldn't handle having two paths.  Right now, I've got the two network ports
connected to separate Gigabit switches.  Half of the nodes use one switch
and the other half use the other.  If I could have all of the nodes use both
switches, that would increase throughput as well as redundancy.

--
Bowie