[Linux-cluster] Aggregated or multiple volumes?

bigendian+gfs at gmail.com bigendian+gfs at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 23:03:43 UTC 2006

>From a RAID perspective, the smaller the number of disks in a RAID group
will minimize the chances of a double disk failure.  The counter to this is
that the best performance will come when you have more disks to spread the
I/O out over.

>From a file system size perspective, I'd be concerned about having giant
volume if for no other reason than to avoid an unfortunate 12 hour fsck.

With LVM you should be able to get the best of both worlds in a sense.  I'm
no expert, but you should be able to create reasonably-sized RAID volumes
and aggregate them as needed into dynamically-sized logical volumes with
LVM.

Security-wise, I wouldn't count on partitioning to protect your data.  If a
compromised machine is on the SAN, I'd expect a determined attacker to be
able to access all of your data through it.

Security aside, there's a bunch of options here.  I'd start with an analysis
of your tolerance for system failure and your ability to recover, then look
at performance requirements and work from there.

Tom