[Linux-cluster] GFS performance

Frazier, Darrell USA CRC (Contractor) Darrell.Frazier at crc.army.mil
Fri Dec 15 20:59:01 UTC 2006

Hello guru's,

Interesting problem I am hoping someone on this forum has seen before, and
can give me pointers to what may be wrong. Here is the setup:

2 HP DL380 G4 systems with RHEL4U4
1 unmanaged switch (for Cluster interconnect and Oracle RAC interconnect.)
Public network for Oracle NET and normal network traffic
RHCS4 using DLM locking protocol (three servers to keep GULM lock info for a
two node RAC seemed pretty wasteful)
GFS6.1
Oracle Clusterware (latest)
Oracle Database 10gR2
Fiber-Channel shared storage

Here is my issue:

I have set up a two-node Oracle 10gR2 RAC system with RHCS/GFS (OCFS2 was
such a disappointment), and Oracle Clusterware. Everything on the OS cluster
level is good and fine.

Shortly after setting up the cluster and handing it over to the DBAs to
install Clusterware and Oracle RAC. They come to me saying that they have
uneven performance between the nodes. (Node one does adatabase import in an
hour whereas the same import on Node2 takes 10 hours)

I have been doing everything I can do on my side using various tools to try
to isolate the issue (protocol analysis, iostat, strace, dd to do writes
from both nodes to GFS, etc.) and I have been unable to isolate the issue as
performance is quite even on an OS level.

The cluster configuration has been ruled out by Redhat support as an issue.
(Yay for me and Redhat!)

I am hoping someone here has run into issues using Oracle Clusterware on
RHCS/GFS.

Thanx in advance

Darrell J. Frazier

CAUTION: This electronic transmission may contain information protected by
deliberative process or other privilege, which is protected from disclosure
under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. § 552. The information is
intended for the use of the individual or agency to which it was sent. If
you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Do
not release outside of DoD channels without prior authorization from the
sender. The sender provides no assurance as to the integrity of the content
of this electronic transmission after it has been sent and received by the
intended email recipient.