[Linux-cluster] Lazy umount - NFS HA

Matthew Geier matthew at arts.usyd.edu.au
Thu Dec 21 00:07:06 UTC 2006

Jordi Prats wrote:
> Hi all,
> It's normal that I must use a script to do a lazy umount (umount -l
> /mountpoint) of a ext3 partition (not GFS) in a HA NFS cluster?

  I'm having the same problem - the service won't shutdown cleanly as it
can't unmount the file systems - which it can't unmount due to some one
logging in with SSH and their home directory is on that volume.

  I've also had an issue with the cluster manager not shutting down
nfsd, so a volume won't unmount 'cause an NFS client is still attached.
I think I might have nailed that one, but there is little I can do about
people with interactive logins.
(It's acceptable to terminate their logins with extreme prejudice, but
not to disable the SSH service, as I need that to admin the machine :-)