[Linux-cluster] May I turn on direct I/O and/or async I/O when using GFS as the cluster file system for Oracle9i RAC?

Thai Duong thaidn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 16:23:41 UTC 2006

Hi there,

I'm using Red Hat GFS 6.0 as the cluster file system for a 4-node Oracle RAC
9.2.0.7, each node is running RHAS 3 Update 6. There're probably a lot of
benefits in using direct I/O and/or async I/O with Oracle9i RAC. RH GFS
itself supports direct I/O regardless of the application running on top of
it. I have asked a Oracle Support Service guy and he confirms that we can
use direct I/O feature of RH GFS but he doest have information about async
I/O. May I turn on direct I/O and/or async I/O (I mean recompile Oracle to
support async I/O) when using GFS as the cluster file system for Oracle9i
RAC? Do you have any experience with this? Please help.

TIA,

Thai Duong.