[Linux-cluster] Oracle on a two node cluster: which filesystem ?

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 14:46:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 21:46 -0800, SUVANKAR MOITRA wrote:
> dear lon,
>
> I want impliment oracle 10g on cluster suite 4. Its a
> active/passive cluster.How can i install oracle on
> cluster.
> Pl help me.
>
> regards
>
> Suvankar Moitra
> India, kolkata

It's been awhile since I (personally) have installed Oracle in a cold
failover cluster, but I know it's been done.

There is an oracleas script I sent to linux-cluster awhile back which is
probably a good starting point for build a resource agent to start/stop
Oracle.  It is untested on RHCS4, but was tested with an Oracle "Cold
Failover Cluster" installation on RHEL 2.1 and RHCS3 in some way:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ias/hi_av/10g_904_HA_Certification.html

See here for some older RHCS3 documentation, which mostly still applies
to RHCS4:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/cluster-suite/ch-db-service.html#S1-SERVICE-ORACLE

Oracle has extensive documentation (I had it in my hand at one point
some time ago ;) ) on how to install Oracle software in a cold failover
cluster environment.

The main trick is to mount all the file systems and bring up the
expected service IP address *before* running the Oracle installer.
Also, make sure the Oracle user's home directory is not on a shared file
system.

You can install the Oracle software on shared storage if you want to, or
you can install it on each node individually.  However, the
tables/data/undo/etc. must be on shared storage which is accessible by
all nodes.

After that, craft the service, which would look something like:

   <service name="oracle" ...>
     <fs name="oracle_data" mountpoint="/oradata" .../>
     <fs name="oracle_home" mountpoint="/orahome" .../>
     <fs name="oracle_undo" mountpoint="/oraundo" .../>
     <ip address="192.168.1.2" .../>
     <script name="oracle" path="/home/oracle/oracle" .../>
   </service>

Good luck!

-- Lon