[Linux-cluster] Network failure results cluster environmentunstable & fragile

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Tue Feb 28 13:50:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 20:28 -0500, Lon Hohberger wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 09:22 +0100, Pena, Francisco Javier wrote:
> > Hi Deval,
> >
> > If you are using iLO fencing, you could try the latest fence package
> > (1.32.10). I have seen a similar problem, and it is because recent iLO
> > firmware versions behave a little different (they try to make a soft
> > restart instead of a hard reboot).
>
> Also, if you're using iLO fencing, make sure you boot with acpi=off
> (see /etc/grub.conf) and have acpid stopped.  (e.g. chkconfig --level
> 2345 acpid off)
>
> ACPI soft-poweroff (which iLO tries to do) is exactly what you do not
> want in a cluster.

Wow, this sounds fairly important, but I do not see this mentioned in
the RHCS-4 "Configuring and Managing a Cluster" documentation when I
look at the setup for ILO fencing.  Where is this documented so others
deploying HP Proliants don't fall into a trap?  :)

/Brian/

--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.