[Linux-cluster] urgenet question about ClusterSuit

Mark Hlawatschek hlawatschek at atix.de
Wed Jan 4 10:36:13 UTC 2006

Hi Sara,

> we are planning to service 200000 customers for
> internet services such as webhosting,email,DNS.We have
> designed about 8 servers for each service to run a
> share of the load.I want to use Clustersuit as well as
> GFS as we are making use of SAN.
Very good. We've built some solutions for internet services based on a GFS
storage cluster with great success. We also created a diskless shared root
cluster environment (cluster boots from SAN and shares the same root
partition) for enhanced management and scalability. We determined that using
a shared root cluster extremely reduces the effort for system administration.
Besides, the scalability of the cluster and replacement of cluster nodes can
be done within minimum timeframe and minimum installation work. As you want
to create a cluster with 8 nodes and more, you should also think about that.
We are in progress of releasing the shared root software at source forge site.
The project's name will be open-sharedroot.
> As I have studied mannuals of clustersuit , it seems
> that there is only one service up in each
> clustersystems , my question is we this high number of
> users How can I rely just on one servers , I know that
> another server in failoverdomain comesup incase of
> first server failure , but what about load balancing?
> how can I have all of me servers running in my
> clustersystems ?
> I have studied about pirnaha for IP load balancing but
> it seems that I can not use GFS with Pirnaha?
> I appreciate If any one could help me reagrding this
> issue?
As this topic has been already discussed, he're just a short sum-up:
- You need an IP load-balancer in front of your cluster. You can use a
hardware solution or a software solution like Piranha or other packages using
LVS to implement this. To achieve highest availability you shoud create at
least an active/passive HA cluster. The nicest solution would be an
active/active loadbalancing.
- To host the services you need to create the GFS storage cluster (also think
about using shared root). Depending on the type of service, the applications
are running in parallel on each cluster node (e.g. apache, tomcat, php), or
are integrated into a failover configuration (e.g. mySQL).

Best Regards,
Mark
--
Gruss / Regards,

Dipl.-Ing. Mark Hlawatschek
Phone: +49-89 121 409-55
http://www.atix.de/

**
ATIX - Ges. fuer Informationstechnologie und Consulting mbH
Einsteinstr. 10 - 85716 Unterschleissheim - Germany