[Linux-cluster] gnbd configuration (newbie)

Benjamin Marzinski bmarzins at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 20:53:13 UTC 2006

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 09:57:42AM -0600, Frazier, Darrell USA CRC (Contractor) wrote:
>    I am trying to set up a 2 node test cluster using the Cluster Suite and
>    GFS. Shared storage consists of three GFS formatted partitions on an iscsi
>    jbod. What I need to know is this: The documentation is a little vague in
>    the configuration of gnbd as a fencing device. How do I use the gnbd
>    device to fence the 2 nodes. Do I have to setup the existing GFS formatted
>    partitions to be exported as a GNBD device? Thanx in advance.

GNBD is like iscsi.  A regular node with local storage can use gnbd_serv to
act like an iscsi target, exporting the local storage to the network.  The
GFS nodes access the storage via the GNBD driver, much like they would using
the iSCSI driver.  If you are using GNBD to create shared storage, you use
fence_gnbd to disable access to that shared storage.  Since you are using iSCSI
for your shared storeage, you cannot use fence_gnbd to disable access to that
storage. Sorry. You need to use another fencing method.

-Ben